9th Annual Zongo Yachting Cup
Morro Bay Yacht Club is pleased to present our 9th Annual Zongo Yachting Cup, the Central Coast’s biggest ocean race / cruise. Mark your calendars for Saturday, August 12 as we sail, motor, paddle, and row from Morro Bay to Avila Beach. Awaiting your arrival in Avila is a great reception party at the San Luis Yacht Club, conveniently located on the Avila Pier.
Please review the race packet and detailed info here: Notice of Race & Instructions PDF
All seaworthy vessels are eligible (sail, power, outrigger canoe, SUP, etc.)
Registration is open, so please register now!
|Registration – $20 in advance, or $30 day of event|
9th Annual Zongo Yachting Cup Information
Meet at Morro Bay Yacht Club Friday evening, 8/11 for an informal reception and Happy Hour. We’ll fire up the BBQ, open the bar, and recount sea stories of previous Zongo Cup events. 4:00 – 9:00PM
Race Day Schedule:
- 8:00 – Yacht Club open, and quiche and coffee will be served, thanks to our good friends at the Blue Sky Bistro!
- 9:00 – Skippers Meeting.
- 10:00 – Everyone on boats and off the dock
- 11:00 – Start (MB1)
- 5:00 – Must have finished or DNF
- 3:30 until late: – Reception party at the San Luis Yacht Club
- 6:00 – AWARDS CEREMONY at the San Luis Yacht Club . Please be there – FREE to attend!
- Cruising Class (includes anything that floats, even if simultaneously racing in another class)
- Outrigger Canoe
- Stand Up Paddle
- We will also make a separate class for 3 of the same vessel.
- The Avila Pier is closed, so we will all be heading in to Port San Luis. There are only approx. 15 guest moorings in Port, so it’s first come, first served. Mooring fee is $15/night. The Port operates a taxi service which comes with the mooring, but subject to their limited schedule.
- Guest Moorings
All guest moorings are available on a first come first serve basis. Moorings for vessels up to 35’ are located near shore and are the first two rows of moorings with white buoys directly east of the boat launch area. Moorings for vessels up to 55’ are the outer most moorings/white buoys on the west side behind the break wall and moorings up to 85’ are outer most moorings/white buoys on the east side of the channel entrance. All daily rental moorings are $15.00 per day (14 day limit). The Harbor Patrol may be contacted on VHF radio, channel 12 for assistance. Patrons are requested to prepay and fill out a vessel registration card with the water taxi host or at the main office. If unable to come to shore, please call (805) 595-5400 during normal business hours to make a credit card payment.
- Water Taxi
For water taxi service, contact the Port San Luis Water Taxi Operator at (805) 305-4796 or VHF Radio channel 12. The Harbor District is currently offering this service free of charge, 7 days a week with scheduled runs at:
- 7 a.m.
- 9 a.m.
- 11 a.m.
- 1 p.m.
- 3 p.m.
- 4:30 p.m.
- 6 p.m. (Saturdays and Sundays only Memorial Day weekend – Labor Day)
- Seaweed Express – Since the Water Taxi is only available on a limited basis, Lee from Seaweed Express is offering Water Taxi service for Zongo Cup Participants. He can be hailed as “Seaweed Express” on VHF Channel 12 or at (805) 703-0397. Lee has also signed up to return sailors back to their vessels after the concert. His fee is $5/person per trip.
- Bob Cazier with San Luis Yacht Club will have the SLYC launch in the water & is volunteering to run folks to and from the Harford Pier from the moorings and anchorage. He can be hailed on his cell phone at (805) 550-3372.
- Ground transportation in Avila: SLYC Commodore Mary Matakovich will be personally shuttling racers from the pier to the SLYC. She is available by cell phone at (805) 602-2137.
Estero Bay Graphics will be at the various functions with the official event t-shirts. If you’d like to pre-order shirts, please email your sizes & quantities to email@example.com.
After the race:
- 3:30 – late:: Reception party at San Luis Yacht Club
- 6:00 – Awards Ceremony at San Luis Yacht Club
- Please register your vessel ASAP, and we look forward to having way more fun than should be allowed. Any questions, please contact your Cruising Fleet Captain:
Paul Irving (805) 441-3344 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks so much for joining us!